Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Crochet...



This time of year always makes me want to do some crocheting. I started when I was 13 years old. My mom and aunt taught me how. I liked doing it. It has easy to handle, only a needle and a skein of thread. I made a lot of afghans. I gave some away and stored others. When I started quilting I put away the crochet. Until I wanted something to do with leftover selvages (you know --the stuff on the edge of fabric that most people throw away--I'm crazy I know--I also save even the smallest pieces of fabric and make crumb blocks). I started sewing the ends of these together and crocheting them into rugs, like you would fabric strips. Sometimes I make coasters and they are really cute but I mostly enjoy making the rugs more. I need to find time to sew some strips together. Therein lies the problem, it takes time to do that. I tried other methods of connecting the strips like, cutting the hole on the end of two strips and flipping one inside the other like they do for fabric strips but it didn't work for selvages, for one thing selvages are all different widths. When they get cut or torn off the edge of fabric it is all different. My friends now give me their selvage edges. I have a big (did I say how BIG) bag of them and I really need to get busy. Better go...


Quilt til your arm falls off...

2 comments:

Apple said...

I just think you have too much stuff you want to do and not enough time to do it. I think you should narrow your creativity down a little bit. ha ha (Not possible, right?) I know the feeling. Maybe I will start crocheting again too and finish that afghan I started last year...no...I still haven't finished it, I got tired of crocheting when the weather got hot. Love you, Apple

wood-nut said...

I think apple needs to put her yarn down and crochet selvages to help her Mom out... :)