Friday, October 10, 2008

I have been working...


despite the fact that I have not been posting about it. This is what has become of the 4-patches. I have all the blocks assembled and I laid them out on my design board then stacked them up and numbered them. They are ready to be sewed together into rows. This has really been a fast and easy quilt. And I love how it looks all laid out.


This is a quilt I quilted last week. A friend of mine owns a Tin Lizzie18 quilting machine. She offered for me to go over and quilt a quilt on it because she knows I want to purchase one. I was not blown away by it. I guess my expectations were too high. There are a couple of things I really liked about it and a couple of things I didn't like about it. I am rethinking buying one. I have done some research and I'm going to Houston Quilt Festival at the end of this month, I will try several machines out and see what happens. I may end up just staying with what I have. Which is a shortarm system using a B-line frame and Juki TL98E.


Here is a closeup of the quilting. I hope you can see it. I did big loopy flowers in the outside border and inside border. I also did a small loop-d-loop around the blocks. BTW, the center is a panel and the borders were added on. I purchased this several years ago and it was just sitting in the stash so I put it together earlier this year at our guild retreat and thought it would be the perfect project to practice on. It is not finished however. I will do some more quilting in the blocks around the redwork and flowers.


And last but not least this is a christmas gift for a member of a small group I belong to called the Woolie's. We, of course, work with wool. I will show a finished picture when it is done. I did the embroidery and added the pieced borders. Now I'm adding wool accents with the buttonhole stitch. I have not decided if it will be a table topper or wall hanging and I'm not sure how I will back it and if it will have batting or not. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Pattie said...

Oh, I think your gift needs to be done as a wall-hanging, so the words in the center can be clearly seen (what does it say, btw?) I'd hate to think of someone putting a plate or something on your lovely work!

Your quilting is amazing! I can see the flowers very clearly. I'm glad you had fun and learned something from the process.

Have a good weekend, m'dear!

Apple said...

I think you should make a wall hanging. Fill it up with batting and make it look like a pillow (only square) so that it looks like a canvas on the wall!!
I know too much work, but you asked... :)

Needled Mom said...

It does look as though you have been busy. How fun to "try" the quilting machine before investing the money into it. I had a blast trying the different Gam*mil machines recently while in San Diego. I can definitely see where practice would be a big help.

The quilting looks good on the one that you did on the machine. I do like the flowers. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with the quilt. I, too, am thinking wallhanging. Do our votes count????

Vanessa said...

I can't wait to see the quilt top put together. The gift would be nice as a wall hanging---even though that means you will need a sleeve. I can't wait to see it all put together.